Tuesday 19 November 2013

Vegan Macaroni and Cheese


Vegan Macaroni and Cheese
 
 
     The first recipe I tried from the current cookbook I am sampling was the vegan macaroni and cheese.  The recipe calls for a whole wheat elbow macaroni, I use dream fields brand because I had a lot of it left from my low carb days.  The next time I will use a non low carb whole wheat elbow macaroni, the dream fields brand is a bit too soft for my taste, and I like my pasta a little more al dente.
 
     This recipe doesn't use cheese, to make up the cheese taste you use nutritional yeast.  I don't find it cheesy tasting, but it is delicious.  In the sauce you do end up using chopped tomatoes, being somewhat of a lazy cook on the day I put this together I used a can of diced tomatoes, it worked fantastically.  So, how would I describe the taste?  It's like a creamy tomato sauce with just a little extra kick to it.  I can't quite point out what the little extra kick is, maybe it's the taste of the nutritional yeast.
 
     I find this on its own quite satisfying, but in the future I may find something to pair it with, to make it more of a complete meal.  But for now I am saving calories by not adding any additions to my meal.  On a scale from 1-10 I would probably give this recipe a 7 or 8, I am sure if I played with the seasoning I could make it more cheesy tasting.
 
 
 
A Little Kitchen Accessory Chat
 
 
 
 
Okay guys and gals, I just have to share.  I had a store credit on Overstock.com and I found this spice rack, and I am a little in love.  Granted different color options would have been nice, albeit a veneer on the wood, but this spice rack is beautiful.  Someone had reviewed it and said they were disappointed because it came with no labels, but these are the labels that came with the rack, and I think that while they're simple they are as well elegant.  With my store credit I ended up paying nothing, but the spice rack I believe was just $29 approximately.  The spices contained within if you had bought at the grocery store separately would cost you near $100, it as well came with a few spices you don't usually find in your standard spice rack, such as Herbs de Provence, Coriander and Crushed Mint.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment