Sunday 24 November 2013

Italian "sausage" coins and gravy on top off mashed cauliflower, with roasted carrots
 
 
     What can I say about this recipe?  Even though it looks like some slop you might feed a barnyard animal, or something even a bit more sinister and "wasteful", if you get my drift... it was delicious!  My first time making mashed potatoes with cauliflower, in the future I may find a way to thicken them up for a little more of a mashed potato consistency, but they're quite nice none the less.  The gravy is a mushroom gravy, and I am surprised I didn't hate it, because I hate mushrooms... but I am trying to find ways to work them into my diet and maybe even make myself like them.  The roasted carrots are delicious, next time I might add some spices into the parchment before I add them to the slow cooker.  That little bowl of unidentified something is actually a soy strawberry yogurt, not home made.  Hey, can you blame someone for needing something a little sweet to round out the meal with?
 
     On the Italian "sausage", they're seitan, or I just call it vegan Italian sausage.  I hate the work seitan, no, I am not eating Satan thank you very much.  Making your own fake meats with vital wheat gluten my friends is far more affordable than finding it ready made in the grocery store.  I didn't find the recipe from the book for Italian sausage to be spiced very well, I like big flavors.  I did find another recipe online for a fake meat, that turned out somewhat like a meatloaf or faintly tasting like something from Pepperidge Farms.  It was quite tasty and the next time I make this dish I am going to spice the Italian sausage the same way.  I will put my own tweak on that recipe and put it up here for you my friends. 

No comments:

Post a Comment